Monday, February 11, 2008

Bar Review: Mars Bar, Manhattan

Neighborhood: Manhattan/East Village
25 East 1st. Street (between 2nd St & Extra Pl)
New York, NY 10003

If dive bars had national championships this would get first place.This is thee dive bar in all of America. It's dirt, filth, rock, andcreepiness all melted into one.As I was walking home one un-eventful night I spotted what seemed tobe a haven for rock and beer. It shined from a distance, the sound ofheavy chords vibrated out from the walls, and punks and metal headsseemed to be grouping around. And at that moment I smiled.When I stepped in I knew I found the right place -- it was tiny,probably fitting only 40 people, with stacks of old beer boxes linedup to the wall and radical memorabilia lining the walls. This isn'tthe bar for everyone, this is a bar if you love the scent and feel ofold rock and roll, of an attitude and a lifestyle. It brings backfeelings that you held when you moshed your way to the stage to dive,and sensation you have when you truly are disgusted with the Man.Beers are cheap, music is good. Go here.

Review by Alex Malina, for nycbyme.com


View Larger Map

0 comments: