Friday, February 15, 2008

Bar Review: Carlito's, Spanish Harlem

Neighborhood: Manhattan/East Harlem
1701 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10184
(212) 534-7168
http://www.carlitosny.com/

I found out about this place on a Tuesday night, only a few blocks from my house, this cafe/bar is one of the best places to chill in New York City. Decked out with anti-capitalist propaganda, and supporting the liberation movements of women, indigenous people, and revolutionaries of all time, I knew I was in a good place. Not only do they sell Che Guevara wine but they have Zapatista coffee!

On Tuesday nights they have a sweet open mic, though usually it's a small gathering, it's a friendly one nonetheless. Beer prices are between 4 and 5, and drinks are about the same. (Though believe me they pour a mean drink). There isn't much formality here, and that's what gives it a dive-bar feel, with a revolutionary edge.

Everyone should go here for a good, quite, time.



View Larger Map

0 comments: